Proctors: What's Changed?
The proctoring services portion of UNC Online will be significantly improved when we all return from the holiday break this year. Two major changes will be rolled out in January 2020: a new user interface and experience, and a new partner providing online proctoring services, at lower prices and increased availability, for our students.
User Experience and Interface Improvements:
- With more intuitive scheduling features proctors can easily adjust:
- Time Blocks/Exceptions
- Streamlined user experience, with fewer pages, windows, and clicks throughout the site
- A dashboard:
- Review the number and type of upcoming appts
- Determine how many appts are missing exam materials
- See when your proctoring license will renew
- New features:
- A new and improved scheduling calendar
- A bar chart to show exact days when appointment volume is highest
- Proctors will now be able to select multiple student names in order to:
- Download exam materials for the selected students
- Contact the selected students
- Some features have been removed:
- There are now only three (3) types of exams available in UNC Online: online, online+paper, and paper. Offline computer based exams have been removed, since most proctors are not able to accommodate this type exam.
- Now, instructors are required to set up exams 14 days prior to the current date. *Exceptions apply. Previously, instructors did not have to use a lead time for setting up their exam, resulting in difficulty for students to find proctors.
- Now, exam windows must be at least 3 days. Previously, exam windows could be as short as an instructor wanted, resulting in difficulty for students to find proctors.
- Updated licensing agreement to include:
- Updated proctor criteria
- Required memo from employer
- Background checks
- Updated proctor fee policy. Max hourly fee: $15. Max flat fee: $45
New Online Proctoring Partner: Examity
- Shorter wait-times for students when checking IDs
- Reduced cost (~20% to 25% less than correct)
- Higher academic integrity scrutiny on every exam
- Two audits occur for each exam appointment
- The first audit occurs during the exam appointment
- The second audit occurs within 48 hours after the exam appointment
This new system will be accessed in exactly the same way as the current one, at https://online.northcarolina.edu/