Instructors: What's Changed?
The proctoring services portion of UNC Online will be significantly improved when we all return from the holiday break this year. Two major changes will be rolled out in January 2020: a new user interface and experience, and a new partner providing online proctoring services, at lower prices and increased availability, for our students.
User Experience and Interface Improvements:
- Ease of use for instructors to set up proctored exams and schedule accommodations
- During exam set-up, explanations of fields pop-up
- Instructors can now extend an individual student's exam window so the student can:
- Take the exam before the default exam window opens
- Take the exam after the default exam window closes
- Add extended time to reflect DSS accommodations
- Streamlined user experience, with fewer pages, windows, and clicks throughout the site
- With a dashboard instructors can easily:
- Understand when and where to add the exam password
- View incident reports
- Check on student exam appts
- See the number of completed exams
- New exam features:
- The minimum for instructors to add a proctored exam is now 14 days prior to the current date. *Exceptions apply.
- Exam windows must be no shorter than 3 days and no longer than 5 days. *Exceptions apply.
- It's now easier to edit exam fields
- Instructors can now contact specific students or all students
- Some features have been removed:
- There are now only three (3) types of exams available in UNC Online: online, online+paper, and paper. Offline computer based exams have been removed, since most proctors are not able to accommodate this type exam.
- Now, instructors are required to set up exams 14 days prior to the current date. *Exceptions apply. Previously, instructors did not have to use a lead time for setting up their exam, resulting in difficulty for students to find proctors.
- Now, exam windows must be at least 3 days. Previously, exam windows could be as short as an instructor wanted, resulting in difficulty for students to find proctors.
New Online Proctoring Partner: Examity
- Shorter wait-times for students when checking IDs
- Reduced cost (~20% to 25% less than correct)
- Higher academic integrity scrutiny on every exam
- Two audits occur for each exam appointment
- The first audit occurs during the exam appointment
- The second audit occurs within 48 hours after the exam appointment
This new system will be accessed in exactly the same way as the current one, at https://online.northcarolina.edu/