Yes. The UNC Online Course Regulations (Memorandum of Understanding) outlines the following prerequisite guidelines:
- The host institution is responsible for determining and verifying prerequisites for courses.
- UNCO shall share prerequisite information provided by students for review by the
instructor of the course. The instructor shall be responsible for reviewing the provided prerequisite information and, if necessary, following up with the student.
- UNCO is not responsible for verifying students’ prerequisites. UNCO shall require
students registering for a course with prerequisites to provide the following information:
i. What class and/or previous experience(s) do you believe satisfies the
ii. For course(s), please include course name(s) & number(s), institution(s)
attended, date(s) taken, and any other relevant details.
b. UNCO shall share this information with the instructor of the course for his/her
review. UNCO shall send the instructor an automated enrollment notification
when a student registers for their course, which shall include the student’s email
address and the information provided by the student regarding prerequisites. The
instructor will be prompted to review the student’s prerequisite information and to
complete one of the following steps:
1. Do nothing. Additional steps are not needed if the student has met
the prerequisite requirements for the course.
2. Ask the student to drop the course through UNCO.
3. Contact the student to request additional details.
Prerequisites are displayed in step 1 ("Initiate") of the student registration process and on the course search page.