Instructors Cannot Use Lockdown Browser or Other Special Software
Instructors cannot require/request for proctors to download special software (e.g., Respondus Lockdown Browser) for exam appointments. This requirement has been agreed to as part of the UNC Online Proctoring System Memorandum of Understanding, which has been signed by each institution’s Chief Academic Officer/Provost.
When UNC Online approves proctors, we do so with the understanding that their hardware and software requirements for testing will be set at a basic level. This allows for maximum usage, by multiple testing programs.
We realize instructors likely want to use lockdown browser as a way to prevent cheating. Instead of using this program, please see the below practices we gathered to help ensure the highest level of exam security in UNC Online. Please feel free to use this information in your online course.
- If instructors set up online exams and click "Close and Constant Supervision Required" then that ensures the highest level of exam security.
- Close and constant supervision can be used for all three (3) types of UNC Online exams: online, online + paper, and paper. Regardless of exam type, instructors may click on "Close and Constant Supervision Required" to ensure the proctors available are ones who can monitor the exam appointment from beginning to end, at the exclusion of any other activity. Over 60% of UNC Online approved proctors offer close and constant supervision.
- Proctors who can provide close and constant supervision often charge a proctoring fee. Students are likely going to complain about proctoring fees. However, when students register for UNC Online courses, an alert about proctoring fees is posted by the campus - this is a Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) requirement. For example, ECU students see the following message when they register for UNC Online courses: There may be additional fees associated with Distance Education courses for verification of student identity for proctored examinations.
- WebCam Proctor (Examity) is very secure. NOTE: Only online exams may use the webcam proctor (Examity).
- How to minimize the cost of proctoring fees - 1. Ensure exam duration is correct. 2. Limit the number of exams in UNC Online to two or three (i.e., put your quizzes in your LMS). 3. Create exams in UNC Online early in the semester. This action will permit students to schedule appointments in advance. NOTE: Many proctors charge an hourly fee, so it is important to make sure your exam duration accurately reflects the true time it takes students to complete the exam. In other words, do not 'pad' exam duration. The reason: Proctors reserve staffing and resources based on exam duration. Students are required to pay the full cost of the exam duration, even if they complete the exam in less than the allotted time.