Exam Duration and Proctoring Fees
Instructors are responsible for entering accurate exam duration, because exam duration and proctoring fees are linked. NOTE: If you entered the incorrect exam duration in UNCO then the only way to change duration is to delete your exam and create a new exam. However, this will likely cause issues for students.
Many proctors charge an hourly fee, so it is important to make sure your exam duration accurately reflects the true time it takes students to complete the exam.
- Students are required to pay the full cost of the exam duration, even if they complete the exam in less than the allotted time.
- Many proctors share that the majority of students do not use the entire exam duration to complete exams.
- Please do not 'pad' exam duration.
- Padding duration does not help students. In fact, it causes students to pay more for proctoring than they should.
- Also, proctors reserve staffing and resources based on exam duration.
Free proctoring services cannot be guaranteed to students. As you can imagine, free proctoring locations quickly reach capacity for midterm and final exams. Please encourage your students to schedule their exam appointments early in the semester/term/summer session.
This requirement has been agreed to as part of the UNC Online Proctoring System Memorandum of Understanding, which has been signed by each institution’s Chief Academic Officer/Provost.
NOTE: When students register for online courses, an alert about proctoring fees is posted by the campus - this is a Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) requirement. For example, ECU students see the following message when they register for online courses: There may be additional fees associated with Distance Education courses for verification of student identity for proctored examinations.