What is the difference between an online exam, webcam proctored exam and a Proctoru exam?
The short answer is these are all 3 the exact same type of exam.
If you set up your exam via UNC Online Exam Proctoring as “Online" then it means students can take the exams via the “Webcam Proctoring Option.” ProctorU is the vendor UNC Online Exam Proctoring uses to provide this type of proctoring service for online exams only.
NOTE: We ask that faculty help us reduce student confusion by using the phrase “webcam proctoring option” instead of ProctorU – we have found that people tend to assume UNC Online Exam Proctoring and ProctorU are the same entity. Again, ProctorU is simply a vendor contracted to offer the webcam proctoring option as one of the proctoring options of UNC Online Exam Proctoring.
The webcam option is available for exams that require close and constant proctoring supervision. As part of their service the webcam option has several requirements that assist in keeping exams secure and help prevent cheating:
1. The webcam proctor is a live proctor.
2. Student’s identities are verified by: a) Proctors require students to present current/legible government issued photo IDs prior to each exam appointment. b) Proctors administer identification quizzes before each exam appointment. The questions are pulled from public record and change each time a student takes an exam (proctors and students are not given the questions in advance). c) Students log into UNC Online Exam Proctoring with their campus credentials (the same user ID and password they use to access their university email accounts) to access exam appointments.
3. With the student's permission, the proctor remotes into the student's computer to securely enter the password. The student does not see the password.
4. The webcam proctor remains remotely tied to the student’s computer thus monitoring all virtual activity made by the student. (NOTE: the webcam proctor cannot access a student’s computer files without their knowledge.) With permission from the test taker, proctors have the ability to view the screen and move the mouse and keyboard as if he or she were sitting next to the test taker. Once the test starts, the proctor will monitor everything but can no longer move the test taker's mouse and keyboard. During the entire process, a chat box is running on the test taker’s computer, and they can see what permissions the proctor currently has at any time. The entire chat session log is saved, and there is a permanent record of what actions the proctor took while accessing the test taker's computer.
5. Prior to the start of the exam (and through the appointment if necessary) the student is required to pan their desk and the room with their webcam to ensure no unauthorized items/people are in the testing area. In addition, A reflective device such as a mirror to show your proctor what is in front of you.
Students can learn how to schedule exams via the webcam option by visiting https://unconline.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/201337426-Take-Exam-Via-Webcam
Students can learn more about exam proctoring in general by visiting https://unconline.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200833493-UNC-Online-Proctoring-Students