Types of exams and explanations of each
There are 4 different exam types available in UNC Online: (1) Online, (2) Online + Paper, (3) Paper, and (4) *Offline Computer.
An Internet-based exam provided by Blackboard, Moodle, SAKAI, WebAssign, or other types of LMS (learning management systems).
NOTE: You will still need to setup your exam in your university LMS.
NO SUPPLEMENTAL DOCUMENTS/ HANDOUTS CAN BE PROVIDED. ALL EXAM DOCUMENTS MUST BE ENTIRELY ONLINE. PLEASE SELECT EXAM TYPE 'ONLINE + PAPER' TO UPLOAD SUPPLEMENTAL DOCUMENTS/HANDOUTS.
Online gives students the option of taking your exams via the “Webcam Proctoring Option.” ProctorU is the vendor contracted with UNC Online to provide this type of proctoring service for online exams only.
NOTE: We ask that instructors help us reduce student confusion by using the phrase “webcam proctoring option” instead of ProctorU – we have found that people tend to assume UNC Online and ProctorU are the same entity.
The webcam proctoring option is available for online exams that require close and constant proctoring supervision. As part of their service the webcam option has several requirements that assist in keeping exams secure and help prevent cheating:
1. The webcam proctor is a live proctor.
2. Student’s identities are verified by: (a.) Proctors require students to present current/legible government issued photo IDs prior to each exam appointment; (b.) Proctors administer identification quizzes before each exam appointment. The questions are pulled from public record and change each time a student takes an exam (proctors and students are not given the questions in advance); (c.) Students log into UNC Online with their campus credentials (the same user ID and password they use to access their university email accounts) to access exam appointments.
3. With the student's permission, the proctor remotes into the student's computer to securely enter the password. The student does not see the password.
4. The webcam proctor remains remotely tied to the student’s computer thus monitoring all virtual activity made by the student. (NOTE: the webcam proctor cannot access a student’s computer files without their knowledge.) With permission from the test taker, proctors have the ability to view the screen and move the mouse and keyboard as if he or she were sitting next to the test taker. Once the test starts, the proctor will monitor everything but can no longer move the test taker's mouse and keyboard. During the entire process, a chat box is running on the test taker’s computer, and they can see what permissions the proctor currently has at any time. The entire chat session log is saved, and there is a permanent record of what actions the proctor took while accessing the test taker's computer.
5. Prior to the start of the exam (and through the appointment if necessary) the student is required to pan their desk and the room with their webcam to ensure no unauthorized items/people are in the testing area. In addition, a reflective device such as a mirror is required so the student can show the proctor what is in front of you.
Online + Paper Exam
An Internet-based exam provided by Blackboard, Moodle, SAKAI, WebAssign, or other types of LMS (learning management systems), in addition to electronic file(s) provided for download (paper exams, supplemental documents, handouts, etc).
Electronic file(s) provided for download to be printed by proctor. Student completes exam by hand.
*Offline Computer-Based Exam (This exam type will not be available beginning fall 2019)
NOTE: Although UNC Online offers this type of exam as an option for instructors it does not recommend this type of exam option. Very few proctors are able to accommodate this type of exam.
Electronic file(s) (Word, PDF, etc) provided for download and completion electronically.